"Wine from Organic Vineyards"
"The concerns of Mr. OrganiFarmer"
One day training project for pupils in C'- F' Form, and High school and Lyceum students.
- Learn the history of viticulture from ancient times to the present.
- Learn about conventional agriculture and its consequences on the environment and our health.
- Introduction to organic farming and the process of winemaking.
- Changing attitudes in favour of the organic products.
- Field work involving the observation and the orientation of the vineyards, the condition of the soil and the terrain relief. Comparison of biodiversities between the conventional and the organic vineyards.
- Introduction to the methods of organic farming and hands-on training.
- Making visits to venues which offer a historical perspective to winemaking (from the Minoan era to modern times).
- Using questionnaires, the pupils make proposals regarding the environmental impact of conventional agriculture. The project wraps up with activities which check the children's understanding of the above mentioned problem. This involves the use of collage, maps, role playing, group work and discussions.